Friday, September 14, 2007

The Picnic Table

Everyday on my bike ride from school, I notice the same picnic table. It's worn and well-used, sitting very close by the Thames River. Everyday this table is in use when I ride by. Earlier this week, by four colleagues with take-out pizza. Yesterday, by an older couple - one in a folding camp chair, the other sitting on the edge of the table - feeding the ducks. Today, a man lying flat on the table surface, with this arms covering his eyes.

There is something that draws me about this table, how it collects and releases people throughout their days. Sharing their moments. More so, I wonder what goes through the heads of the people who sit at the table.

Once at the beginning of medical school I lay on the ground near that table, under a tree. I needed to ground myself. I thought, "as if I'm in medical school and how am I going to do this". It was more of a statement than a question. And then I remember thinking about nothing. Just lying there by the picnic table, under the tree.

No comments: